I had some pumpkin purée over from another meal creation, and this seemed the perfect way to ensure nothing goes to waste. Even though it's the middle of summer and about as "in the tropics" as one can get, this delicious combination hinted at the autumn (fall) season to come. Enjoy!
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2¼ tsp instant yeast
- 2⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Maple Cream Cheese Icing
- ½ pack cream cheese
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- Heat the butter and milk together (105 - 115 °F).
- In a separate bowl beat the pumpkin purée, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt on a medium speed.
- Add the warmed milk and butter mixture until combined, then beat in the yeast and egg.
- Add 1 cup of flour and mix until combined, then add the remaining 1 2/3 of flour and mix for another minute.
- Transfer pumpkin dough into a lightly greased bowl making sure to coat the entire ball of dough.
- Cover and place in a warm location until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and roll out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough into a 18 x 10 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter evenly on top.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the entire dough surface. Roll it up and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Arrange rolls into a greased pan. Cover and allow to double in size.
- Bake rolls in a preheated oven at 359 °F for 25 minutes.
- Beat together all the icing ingredients and pour over the rolls while they are still warm.
- Serve and enjoy!