Levain Bakery is a retail bakery that opened in 1995 and is located at 167 West 74th Street, on the Upper West Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. They ship across the USA and are known for a big rise, crispy exterior and scrumptious, gooey interior.Work quickly making sure your butter does not become soft. If this happens, refrigerate the balls of cookie dough ensuring that they are firm to the touch, failing which your cookies will be flat and not have that signature rise.
- 1 cup COLD butter cut into cubes
- 1 cup brown sugar packed firmly
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cut butter into small blocks and beat along with the brown and granulated sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the butter and egg mixture.
- Lastly add the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until crispy and slightly golden on the outside yet still gooey on the inside. Best served warm.